Monday, February 25, 2008

The Wheelchair Suicide Bomber


I was listening to NPR this morning and on comes a story about a suicide bomber in Baghdad today attacked a police station. They went on to talk about how insurgents have brutally used the disabled in the past as weapons. Of course I was saddened by this news but I wondered to myself, where is the story about the shi'ite pilgrims (a large number women and children) that were wounded and killed on Sunday in the town of Iskandariya, 40km south of Baghdad on their way to Karbala to attend a religious ceremony? Or the report about the 33 dead PPK members in the Kurdish Northern Iraq as result of the "Turkish incursion" that commenced last Thursday?

Why did NPR decide to report about this particular bombing when they miss so many other events that take place in Iraq on daily basis? For me, it has to be the motivated by the need to make the Iraq resistance to look as evil as possible. While talking with my dad briefly about the war (we have to avoid it all costs because it just leads to a big fight) he cited a suicide bomber where a mentally challenged girl was used as the weapon and he had no information about the torture tactics used by the US military against innocent prisoners. Even from a liberal source such as NPR, the information is still skewed. I have so little faith in our media.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just looking NPR and they totally are reporting on the Turkish ground strike.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19346625

I am just so disturbed by the state of our media these days I jumped to conclusions too soon.